Thursday, February 22, 2007

more bad news for Marshall's and TJ Maxx customers...

A new development on the TJX Cos. security breach.

Personal data may have been compromised as far back as 2003, Boston Globe Business writer Ross Kerber reports today.

Hmm, let's think about the amount of times that I have shopped at Marshalls since 2003. YIKES. We know my card has been compromised, and the Bank sent me a new one. But as I told you in an earlier post, I never kept track of my bank statements. The only ones I have on file are from 2006. Anything that was charged two, three or four years ago is ancient history now, but this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And here is why:

"Separately, a spokesman for MasterCard International Inc. said yesterday that at the time of the breach TJX did not meet a data-security standard set by card companies. TJX spokeswoman Sherry Lang declined to respond to MasterCard's assertion."


Looking for someone to blame for the fact that your information has been compromised, including some drivers license numbers, Kerber says? Blame TJX.

In Massachusetts specifically, drivers were given the option to use their social security numbers as license numbers until the RMV changed over to state-issued S-numbers in 2005. So one can see how the theft of drivers license information as well as credit card numbers could be catastrophic. If state AG Martha Coakley can have her identity stolen, anyone can.

No comments: